The health of the future mother is a subject of special medical care. And if a woman complains about poor health, the doctor will immediately send her to take tests.
As a result, acetone can be detected in the urine of pregnant women, which often happens during prolonged intoxication. And this is a very serious problem that poses a threat to mother and child.
Acetone and sugar in urine: what does it mean?
Where does acetone in the urine of a pregnant woman? The fact is that our body constantly needs the energy it receives from food. If for any reason there is not enough sugar, the emergency replenishment mechanism starts.
It begins the processing of fat deposited by the body "in reserve." As a result of this chemical process, by-products of organic nature (ketones) are synthesized. These include acetone.
In a healthy body, this toxic compound is present in small quantities all the time. During the period of gestation due to hormonal disruptions or as a result of malnutrition of acetone, too much accumulates in the blood, the urinary system does not have time to utilize it completely, and the destruction of healthy tissue cells begins (intoxication).
This condition, called ketonuria (or acetonuria), causes dehydration and threatens the development of the fetus. But the reason may be in gestational diabetes. So, the future mother, in addition to the analysis for acetone, will definitely need to donate blood and urine for sugar.
Often a slight increase in performance can be considered a normal physiological response, not dangerous for the mother and baby. But if repeated reruns of the analyzes show consistently high values of sugar, then pathology is present.
Norm for pregnant women
Acetone in a healthy body is always present in small quantities and is completely excreted in the urine and sweat. The norm is taken amount of ketones 1-2 mg per 100 ml of blood.
This volume is utilized by the body completely. If a small increase in the concentration of acetone is found in the woman, you should not be afraid.
She will be asked once again to do a laboratory study in order to eliminate the error. But if there is a significant preponderance of ketones (15-59 mg / dl), they speak of ketonuria. The woman clearly feels the acetone taste in the mouth.
Vomiting is exhausting her, and her body is rapidly dehydrated. The presence of excess sugar in the urine of a woman in labor usually indicates the onset of gestational diabetes (DG).
There are 3 criteria for assessing the level of glucose in urine:
- if sugar is less than 1.7 mmol / l, this is the norm;
- in the range of 1.7-2.7 mmol / l - there are traces of glucose, but within the limits of permissible;
- more than 2.8 mmol / l - exceeding the norm. Diagnosed with glucosuria.
Do not be discouraged if the first analysis showed high numbers. The doctor will send you to retake and only then draw conclusions.
The cause of high sugar in the urine can be not only the HD. There are other reasons:
- endocrine diseases;
- pancreatic dysfunction;
- head injuries.
Increased urine acetone during pregnancy
In the early stages
Ketones during this period usually appear as a result of moderate or severe toxicosis. When vomiting attacks increase to 5-10 episodes per day, the woman hardly eats.
In addition, the intervals between meals are increasing. The reaction of the body is expected: the active splitting of lipids and proteins begins. As a result, the pregnant woman quickly loses weight, and ketones appear in the urine.
In addition to toxicosis and poor appetite, the cause of acetonuria in pregnant women can be:
- nutrition: irregular and irregular. When food is replete with fats and proteins, the woman's body does not cope with its absorption. Result: acetone in urine;
- weak immunity. In this case, any infection causes the growth of the synthesis of ketone bodies;
- lack of water. Toxicosis, provoking vomiting, greatly dehydrates the body. Therefore, a pregnant woman should try to drink from 1.5 liters of water (or any liquid) per day. It is better to do this in the morning and in the evening. And in the afternoon drink compotes or tea. Such a pattern of fluid intake, distributed in time, will reduce the risk of swelling;
- physical stress. Therefore, doctors insist on a balanced mode, when physical activity alternates with rest;
- starvation. This pregnant should not do categorically. Fearing of getting better even more, future mothers consciously limit themselves to eating, forgetting that by this they deprive the child of vital trace elements and vitamins. This is very dangerous, because fasting can cause the development of pathologies in the future child.
On late terms (on the third trimester)
In the later stages, ketonuria appears as a consequence of preeclampsia and liver disease.
But the reasons may be quite prosaic: at this time, many women in labor have a large weight gain. These women doctors recommend fasting days and rice diets.
If you do not follow the correct diet, you can increase the acetone in the urine. Often, this situation leads to hospitalization.
Ketonuria in toxicosis
Very often, high acetone in the urine of a woman in labor indicates early toxicosis. The reason for this is the adaptation of the female body to its new state.
It is much more dangerous when ketonuria appears in a pregnant woman after 28 weeks. The reason may be in late gestosis. And this is a very dangerous pathology.
Therapy will depend on the level of ketones. If their number is small, outpatient treatment is acceptable.
Symptoms and signs of ketonuria
Symptoms of the disease is not always clearly manifested. For a pregnant woman, toxicity should be a signal. Do not wait for pronounced signs of ketonuria.
Contact your doctor immediately if the following points are noticed:
- no appetite. And the sight of food immediately causes nausea;
- stale breath. Acetone is felt. This is a clear sign of excess ketones in the blood. In most cases, a similar symptom during pregnancy indicates early toxicosis, and after 28 weeks - to preeclampsia or decompensated diabetes;
- abdominal cramps. This happens when acetonuria is accompanied by a disease already present in a pregnant woman: infections, pancreatic diseases, or diabetes;
- lethargy and apathy;
- dehydration. Ketones, standing out with breathing, dry up the oral mucosa. A pregnant woman develops a whitish plaque on the tongue, and the skin flakes off.
What is dangerous ketonuria during pregnancy
If acetone in the urine is not increased much, and it happened once - the reason for the experiences of the mother does not. This situation will not harm her or the baby.
The most dangerous condition when ketonuria becomes pronounced: acetone is high and lasts a long time. In this case, the task of the doctor is to understand what causes intoxication.
Such pathologies as:
- liver disease.
Delay in the diagnosis is unacceptable - at stake is the health of the mother and child.
If the problem is not solved, the following complications are possible:
- risk of miscarriage;
- poisoning with ketone bodies of the woman and the fetus;
- dehydration and even coma.
What to do?
Ketonuria should be treated in the hospital. Here, the pregnant woman will have to pass the following tests:
- for the assessment of the state of the organs - a complete blood count and biochemistry;
- Ultrasound of the thyroid gland;
- urine analysis for acetone;
- blood for sugar.
Based on test results, follow-up therapy is determined.
If the cause of acetonuria is preeclampsia, the patient is prescribed:
- Valerian and Motherwort;
- antispasmodic drugs such as Papaverine or Theophylline. In addition to them, adrenergic blockers are used;
- pressure reducing agents.
When ketonuria is not associated with pathologies, treatment includes:
- receiving adsorbents;
- rehydration solutions;
- drink plenty of water
This is a very important condition in the treatment of ketonuria.
Meals should be high carbohydrate and include:
- lean meat and lean fish. They need to be used in stew. Frying is prohibited;
- cereals and vegetable soups;
- juices and compotes;
- vegetables and fruits (fresh).
- any fatty and spicy food;
- salted and smoked;
- coffee and alcohol.
Can I advise:
- frequent vomiting to stop small portions of water or compotes. She should drink 1 tbsp. l Gap - 10 minutes;
- learn how to do a cleansing enema yourself;
- well helps and drink with lemon and honey. Proportions: 2 tbsp. l honey per liter of water. Add lemon juice to taste. The tool should also be drunk portions: 1 tbsp. with an interval of 10-15 minutes;
- You can drink soda solution: 1 tsp. stir well in a glass of water and take as above;
- drink sedatives: berries or flowers of hawthorn, valerian.
What if acetone is found in the urine? Answers in the video:
Dear women, carefully monitor your well-being. Go through all the planned medical examinations and carefully listen to the doctor's recommendations: together you can remove acetone safely and quickly.